Frequently Asked Questions about Property Letting

Thinking of letting your property? Take a look at our Landlord FAQS

For our landlords

Lettings, Property and Block Management across Brighton & Hove.

If you are considering renting out your property, then you can talk to us for honest and transparent advice or download the brochure below.

Our Landlord Property Letting FAQs

Thinking about letting your property and becoming a landlord? We are on hand to answer any questions that you might have but you are welcome to browse our FAQs page where you may find what you’re looking for.

Do I need to change my mortgage?
If you already own the property then you will need the permission of your mortgage lender before you can let your property. Quite often there is an additional fee and there could be special conditions imposed. If you are buying a property with the intention of renting it out then you may be able to get a buy to let mortgage.
How much rent can I get from my property in Brighton?
We will advise you on exactly how much you can expect to rent your property for per month. Currently the average one-bed apartment in Brighton & Hove is valued at just over £900 per calendar month. The average property let in Brighton & Hove is just over £1200 per calendar month. Rental prices climb higher in Brighton & Hove per year than anywhere in the UK, outside of London.
How much will it cost me to rent my property?
Our fees are always transparent and you can take a look at them for yourself here.

However, there are many things that you need to consider and may need to outlay for in order to rent your property.

You will need to ensure that your property has an up to date Gas Safety Certificate if the property has gas and at least a satisfactory EICR (electrical installation condition report).

If the property is furnished you will also need to make sure that furnishing comply to Fire and Furnishings regulations. And finally, you must have an Energy Performance Certificate to be able to market the property. The EPC rating must be an ‘E’ or above to be able to rent the property.

We can assist you with all of these regulatory requirements to ensure that your property meets the standards required.

Who pays the council tax and TV licences for my property once rented out?
If the property is rented with a TV or the Council Tax is included in the monthly rent, then and only then, is the landlord liable for these costs. Otherwise a TV licence and Council Tax is the responsibility of the tenants.
Do I need a property inventory?
A property inventory is advisable to have. It is invaluable, especially if there is ever a dispute over damage at the end of a tenancy as an inventory provides a detailed list of the contents and it’s condition before your property is rented.
When can I enter my property once it is rented?
You must have the permission of the tenant before you enter the property.

Talk to us today

Call us today on 01273 771977 or email us to enquire about our letting and property management services or regarding renting a property.

Get In Touch

Town & Country Property Services